Who is eligible for HAFA?
The borrower must meet the basic eligibility criteria for HAMP:
- Principal residence
- First lien originated before 2009
- Mortgage delinquent or default is reasonably foreseeable
- Unpaid principal balance no more than $729,750 (higher limits for two- to four-unit dwellings)
- Borrowers total monthly payment exceeds 31% of gross income
How is the program being implemented?
Supplemental Directive 09-09 (November 30, 2009) gives servicers guidance for carrying out the program. A short sale agreement (SSA) will be sent by the servicer to the borrower after determining the borrower is interested in a short sale and the property qualifies. It informs the borrower how the program works and the conditions that apply.
After the borrower contracts to sell the property, the borrower submits a “request for approval of short sale” (RASS) to the servicer within 3 business days for approval. If the borrower already has an executed sales contract and asks the servicer to approve it before an SSA is executed, the Alternative RASS is used instead. The servicer must still consider the borrower for a loan modification.
What are the steps for evaluating a loan to see if it is a candidate for HAFA?
1. Borrower solicitation and response
2. Assess expected recovery through foreclosure and disposition compared to a HAFA short sale or deed in lieu of foreclosure (DIL)
3. Use of borrower financial information from HAMP
4. Property valuation
5. Review of title
6. Borrower notice if short sale or DIL not available (to borrowers that have expressed interest in HAFA).
What are the HAFA rules regarding real estate commissions?
The guidance states that a servicer may not require a reduction in the real estate commission below the amount stated in the SSA, up to 6%.
What else should I know?
- The deal must be “arms length.” Borrowers cant list the property or sell it to a relative or anyone else with whom they have a close personal or business relationship.
- The amount of debt forgiven might be treated as income for tax purposes. Under a law expiring at the end of 2012, however, forgiven debt will not be taxed if the amount does not exceed the debt that was used for acquisition, construction, or rehabilitation of a principal residence. Check with a tax advisor.
- The servicer will report to the credit reporting agencies that the mortgage was settled for less than full payment, which may hurt credit scores.
- Buyers may not reconvey the property for 90 days. HAFA Short Sale Program has been in effect since April 5, 2010.
Section 4: Agents Action Plan.
* Obtain your Short Sale designation. Here is the info you need to get started on the HREU CDPD for only $97. We will give you all the tools, scripts, presentations, press releases, marketing ideas you need now.
* Contact ALL of your past clients, friends and family members and ask them if they our anyone they know is considering defaulting.
* Contact other agents who have upside down owners but, don’t know how to do short sales…short sale listing referrals!
* Make the decision to become your areas Short Sale Specialist. Start by building a huge Short Sale listing inventory. In nearly every market upside down owners are everywhere. Make a commitment to list 10..20…50…100 Short Sales over the next 90 days.
- Complements HAMP by providing a viable alternative for borrowers (the current homeowners) who are HAMP eligible but nevertheless unable to keep their home.
- Uses borrower financial and hardship information already collected under HAMP.
- Allows borrowers to receive pre-approved short sales terms before listing the property (including the minimum acceptable net proceeds).
- Prohibits the servicers from requiring a reduction in the real estate commission agreed upon in the listing agreement (up to 6%).
- Requires borrowers to be fully released from future liability for the first mortgage debt and, if the subordinate lien holder receives an incentive under HAFA, that debt as well (no cash contribution, promissory note, or deficiency judgment is allowed).
- Uses a standard process, uniform documents, and timeframes/deadlines.
- Provides financial incentives: $3,000 for borrower relocation assistance; significant financial incentives for servicers to cover administrative and processing costs.
- Requires all servicers participating in HAMP to implement HAFA in accordance with their own written policy, consistent with investor guidelines. The policy may include factors such as the severity of the potential loss, local markets, timing of pending foreclosure actions, and borrower motivation and cooperation.
- Does not take effect until April 5, 2010, but servicers may implement it before then if they meet certain requirements. The program sunsets on December 31, 2012.
Notification If a servicer has not already discussed a short sale or DIL with the borrower, it must notify the borrower in writing of these options and give the borrower 14 calendar days to respond, orally or in writing. If the borrower does not respond, that ends the servicers duty to give a HAFA offer.
Servicers must consider HAMP-eligible borrowers for HAFA within 30 days after the borrower does at least one of the following:
- Does not qualify for a HAMP trial period plan
- Does not successfully complete a HAMP trial period plan
- Is delinquent on a HAMP modification (misses at least 2 consecutive payments)
- Requests a short sale or DIL
Short Sale Agreement
The borrower has 14 calendar days from the date of the Short Sale Agreement (SSA) to sign and return it to the servicer. The SSA must give the borrower an initial period of 120 days to sell the house (extensions permitted up to a total of 12 months).
Within 3 business days of receiving an executed purchase offer, the borrower (or agent) must submit a completed Request for Approval of Short Sale (RASS) to the servicer, including
* a copy of the sale contract and all addenda
* buyer documentation of funds or pre-approval/commitment letter from a lender
* all information on the status of subordinate liens and/or negotiations with subordinate lien holders.
Within 10 business days after the servicer receives the RASS and all required attachments, the servicer must approve or deny the request and advise the borrower.
HAFA is a complex program with 43 pages of guidelines and forms.
The servicer may require the closing to take place within a reasonable period after it approves the RASS, but not sooner than 45 days from the date of the sales contract unless the borrower agrees.
The servicer must release its first mortgage lien within 10 business days (or earlier if required by state or local law) after receipt of sales proceed from a short sale or delivery of the deed in the case of a DIL. Investor must waive rights to seek deficiency judgments and may not require a promissory note for any deficiency.
Onne major factor in determining the credit score of any consuker is whether
or not you pay your bills on time. On the other hand, don’t offer too much about
yourself on that very first day. This is commonly referred to as the “kiddy tax” and intended to prevent wealthy
taxpayers from sidestepping their tax burden by claiming a portion of their income as that of their dependents.
Unfortunately, the increasing popularity of many international
destinations has also boosted the rate of crime –
especially where credit cards are concerned. This is a complicated
way of saying that spending $4000 on education expenses earns qualified students a tax credit of
We are occasionally disappointed when we encounter people –
buyers, sellers, other realtors, sometimes even our own clients – that have
a mentality that “the other guy is trying to
screw me. Land purchases financed through a Costa Rican
bank (at least in The Zone) was virtually unheard of when I started back in 2006.
Some of the types of properties that a commercial real estate investor may elect to purchase include:.
Most estate agents like Turkish Riviera Homes, one of the main estate agents in Antalya,
will organise inspection trips for potential investors
to visit the country and see for themselves. 3 of
the houses were almost new, just a few years old,
but the 4th one was brand new.
Wow, its good to see that our site gets looks from all over the world! Thank You for your comment. Troy