Homeowners insurance is something people rarely pay much attention to when they buy a property.  It is however, important to make sure you have adequate dwelling hazard and liability insurance, otherwise known as homeowner’s insurance. Getting a policy is easy and almost always obtained when someone closes escrow on their home or rental property. But is it the right type and amount of insurance? Most people reading this sentence probably have no idea about their homeowner’s coverage, but you should know, considering it protects your largest asset.

Building/Dwelling Coverage

Most important is usually the building/dwelling/property that covers the cost to rebuild your property for covered perils like fire, wind damage, vandalism, etc. The coverage is based on your selected estimate of the cost to rebuild the structure, not the land value as land rarely gets destroyed and regardless is not covered by insurance. Additionally, your normal policy does not cover earthquakes or floods, either, but you can get separate policies for these if you are in earthquake or flood-prone areas. Policies for these perils can be expensive, but you decide if it’s worth it. Other items are also not covered like wear and tear, so talk to your agent about what is and what isn’t covered.

While your agent can help you estimate how much coverage you need for one of the line items like building/dwelling (e.g., $400,000 coverage for a 2,500 square foot house based on the size, quality of building materials, age of property, etc), you ultimately pick the dollar amount of coverage. Don’t under-insure, but don’t over-insure, either. Most important is to make sure to review your policy each year and increase your coverage to an appropriate amount if local building costs increase.

Liability Coverage

Many people don’t know this but you also have liability coverage with your homeowner’s policy. For example, if your dog bites someone or if someone slips on your property and gets hurt and you get sued, the insurance provider will step in and pay for a lawyer to defend you and/or pay any settlement or judgment against you. But that coverage has a limit of how much they will pay, usually about $300,000. If you have net worth above that, you can buy additional liability coverage called an umbrella policy in increments of $1,000,000 of additional coverage. It’s dirt cheap too, like $350 per year for an additional million dollars in coverage, so go for it if you think you need it.


The deductible amount is chosen by you. A deductible is how much you pay out of pocket for a loss. If you have a $500 deductible, and there is a $7,500 loss, you pay the first $500 and the insurance carrier pays the other $7,000 up to your maximum covered loss. The higher the deductible you choose, the lower the annual insurance premium you pay. Likewise, the lower the deductible, the higher the annual insurance premium you pay. Discuss this with your insurance professional and decide what makes sense for you.

HOA/Common Interest Development Properties

If you own a unit in a condominium, townhome, co-op, PUD or any other common interest development, whether a personal residence or an investment property, make sure you have an interiorHO-6 policy that covers you for damage to the inside of your unit, PLUS for liability. This isn’t covered by most homeowners association’s master insurance policy.

You don’t want to wait until you or your tenant accidentally floods the nine units below you and every one of those nine owners is looking to you to reimburse them for their losses. Your HO-6 policy should cover this liability and damage – discuss the coverage with your agent. You should also get a copy of your HOA’s master insurance policy and meet with your personal insurance agent to determine if there are any gaps in coverage.

Specialty Items

Additionally, normal policies don’t cover expensive jewelry, artwork, firearms, precious metals, etc. If you have expensive “other” items, make sure to discuss these with your agent and get the proper coverage in place.

The last item to note is that insurance is for major financial losses that will cause a disruption to your life and livelihood if you did not have the coverage in place to pay for all the damage. You generally should not make small claims because the insurance carriers will raise your rates and/or eventually if you make enough minor claims they may drop you from coverage. Reserve making claims for when everything hits the fan.

Having the proper type and amount of insurance in place is vital in today’s world. Pull out your policy and schedule a talk with your agent to discuss what you have and what you need. This should help you sleep better at night by knowing if there is a big loss, you’ve got some help on your side.




2 Responses

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

What Our Clients Are Saying
' Troy Reeves and his team has been a well respected Real Estate team in Arizona for a long time. I had him and his team sell my home when I was an ... more '
by JimAzRealtor
' We have used agents from Troy's ReMax business and Troy's help now for the sale of 2 homes and the purchase of one other. The service was always top ... more '
by user164150

Contact Us
3170 S Gilbert Rd, Suite 2
Chandler, AZ 85286
Toll Free: 877.818.7653
Direct: 480.892.1969
Fax: 480.302.7922
Email: Troy@RelocateAZ.com

Featured Homes Bank Owned Listing Updates